Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mammoth Monday Meeting

We had a bit of a lull there in November with a slow agenda. There will be no such lull in the foreseeable future. Starting on Monday, December 14th, we are jam packed.

Below are some of the agenda items from the upcoming meeting:

1) 2010 Mt Lebanon School Board meeting schedule- For the past two years I have asked about these meetings moving to the 1st and 3rd Monday's of each months so that we would a) not conflict with the commission, and b) have an extra week to get questions answered about information in our packets. I asked last week at the Reorganization meeting that we consider changing the meetings to the 2nd and 4th Mondays. I still like the extra week between discussion/regular meetings and now that the commission will start televising their meetings our residents will have the opportunity to view all local government meetings. Personally, I think the extra week will become extremely important as we begin to review numerous documents regarding the high school and contract negotiations. Any feedback from residents regarding this change in schedule would be appreciated at schoolboard@mtlsd.org.

2) Report from Community Advisory Committee- I posted about the formation of the CAB here. I have very high hopes for the CAB and think/hope that their work will become a huge contributor to the high school project. The Board received in its packet on Thursday some of the material that will be presented on Monday. The Board also received in its packet the latest Design Development cost updates. The CAB report could not have come at a better time. I will post more on their report after Monday's meeting.

3) Act 34 Material- Any time there is a large construction project like we are undertaking with out high school the State requires an Act 34 hearing for public comments. The Board will present to the public the information required by the State and there will be a public meeting to discuss it. I write up more on this after Mondays meeting. There is a certain significance to this meeting that I do not want to understate.

4) Recommendation Regarding Replacement of Stadium Turf- We recently came into some unbudgeted money with the sale of a large property in Mt Lebanon and subsequent receipt of back taxes for that property. The result was over $2 million in revenues. At recent Audit/Finance Committee meetings, Mr. Kubit and I made the recommendation that we take some of those funds and direct them towards the replacement of our high school stadium turf. This turf has seen better days and has reached the end of its useful life. I look forward to the presentation scheduled to be given by our athletic department. This is another item on which I would like to get community feedback. Please view/ask about the presentation on Monday and let the board know your thoughts. Other than having played on artificial turf, I don't know much about it. I will rely heavily on the administration and public input when casting my vote.

I think that's it for Monday. It should be a bit of a long meeting but it is packed full of good information.

Thanks for reading.

James