Monday, March 9, 2009

Budget Discussions Begin Tonight- Input Wanted

That title is not entirely correct. The Audit/Finance Committee has been meeting for a few months discussing the assumptions in the upcoming budget. Tonight is the first time in a while that the Board as a whole will go over a more realistic budget than the one presented last month. As you may know, that budget was engineered to force the Board to get an exception from the PDE to raise taxes higher than the allotted Act 1 limits. The Board does not believe it will need the exception, but it will most likely be there if we need it.

The budget season is the time of year that allows the District and the community to set its priorities. If you have a moment, email me how you would prioritize the following categories (in no particular order):

-program breadth
-athletics
-arts
-taxes
-class size
-school construction
-salaries

Add other items to your own list and let me know what you think. This is nothing more than an exercise in trying to validate how I would prioritize the same items in the District budget. I hear from my family, friends, and others what their thoughts are. I'd appreciate input from a broader segment of our community.

I'll let you know where I stand on these priorities in a few weeks.

Send emails to james.fraasch@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading.

James